Thursday 3 July 2014

One step beyond......and a stitch debate

Howdy,

It's time for another patchwork post - it's about three dimensional patchwork again (and how I got hooked on making these bad boys!)

So, after the pin cushion/doorstop I made for my Mum and finding out the pattern was a) not for commercial use and b) much bigger than I expected, I decided to use the graph paper in my quilting book and doodle a bit......

I seem to like working with definite lines and angular structures so I got to trying rectangle and diamond combinations. These turned out to be perfect for a little pin cushion so I made my templates, cut my fabric, tacked the pieces and got stitching......... (N.B. NEVER use your dressmaking scissors to cut anything but fabric - they will get blunt really quickly and you will no longer love them!)

The essential bits and bobs

Super cute ice cream tubs make for fab storage!!
My local haberdashery, craft centre-type place sells samples of fabric in these dinky ice cream tubs. Not just lovely to look at - they come in handy for storage too!

With lots of scraps of fabric (mainly internet-acquired this time) I made the first pin cushion in bright fabric. The next three were all in softer blue tones and then I added a pink and yellow one along with a red and white one in the interests of not becoming a faded, vintage-style addict. (I totally love the vintage-looking cushions personally but I know not everyone shares my exquisite tastes!)

Here they are: 

The first (not -so-famous) five
Bing! Red and white number; enter stage left!

I used fabrics to compliment the main sections for the sides and hey presto; a little family of pin cushions came to be! Now I just need to decide how to sell my wares and get going. Small items like this are perfect for me as when the fibro flares up and I can't do a lot I can at least crack on and still feel like I've achieved something. Winner!.......even if I did become hooked on making them for a time.........
Just to prove they are 3-d!
To Whipstitch or not to whipstitch? (This bit refers to hand sewing patchwork - I'd rather do it by hand as it portable and easier to correct any mishaps!)

Well, that is indeed the question. Most quilting reference material I have read suggests using whipstitch to join the patchwork pieces together. This is when you hold two pieces, right side together, and catch one or two fibres from each piece with your needle and thread.

So, me being me, I cannot get this to look good on a finished piece and I find it uses a ton of thread. Therefore on my patchwork pieces I use the tiniest running stitch imaginable - seriously, we're talking around 1mm per stitch! This gives me a neat, surprisingly strong, finish with very little stitching showing if any at all.

I guess the best way is to practice and find what works for you - we're all different and that's what makes life interesting!

Right, signing off now to go and do some research on selling and doodle some more designs.

Toodle pip!

Big Love, Loli B xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment