Tuesday 24 June 2014

Howdy!

It's me again with another little tale of progress on the hand sewing front!

So, my Dad is not the easiest person to buy presents for - if you ask him what he'd like you'll usually get 'I can't think of anything' as a reply. Actually, he's not the only one - I find many folks these days appear to either not want anything or don't want to suggest anything in case the buyer's budget is somewhat slender. Sign of the times or a return to older values? Either way, if you are determined to give someone a present it can be very tricky to choose that perfect thing.

Step forward, my Mum! I'd had a brief idea of something to make Dad for Fathers Day and when I discussed it with my Mum she suggested the same thing.


So, armed with a few dimensions, fabric and other bits and bobs I set about making a teeny gadget case.

First things first; I had to decide on a fabric to use. Now, with my 'make do and mend' hat firmly plonked on my head I decided that as Dad's fave colour is green this should involved. It would just so happen that having raided a bag of stuff destined for the charity shop, I found a lovely dark green and blue shirt of Dad's.......yes, you guessed it, I technically gave him back a piece of his own shirt!

You may be thinking it was a bit cheeky but I knew it was a colour and pattern he liked and it also satisfied my upcycling obsession.


Here goes another first!x


Quilting is not something I've done before, by machine or hand, but I had to throw down the gauntlet to myself yet again and try!

I used quilt wadding and fixed this to the main fabric and backing with fixative spray before I started to 'quilt'.

The quilted inside of the case x


Next up I made some binding from a piece of black fabric and I stitched it to the case as you can see below. Again, stitching on a curve - when will I go for an easy option?!




 





Finally I added a piece of velcro inside the flap and hey presto! The case was done!















I can happily report that the case fits the gadget it was designed for (a pocket magnifier) perfectly, was padded to protect it and it was immediately placed with pride in my dad's top pocket! (He even found the use of his old shirt amusing thankfully!)

Next time, another little creation or two and my plans for world domination...........maybe........

Big Love, Loli B xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment